Rats and mice especially can be seen as too tiny to do any real damage to your home and belongings. The real story is quite the opposite when they are capable of wreaking havoc at your home and bring with them health issues as well as material damage. That’s why it’s best to contact a Vancouver pest control company.
They can chew up things in your home, spoil food, spread a number of diseases, increase and even create allergies. Before this happens it’s essential to know how to rodent proof your home and act upon these measures.
The first thing to do is identify any points that might allow entry to rats and mice and seal those places. Good hygiene and sanitary conditions are another thing that will discourage any rodent infestations along with the 5 steps listed below to prevent rodents from invading your home.
- Inspect your foundation. Conduct a thorough inspection of your home’s foundation and take note of any holes or gaps that may be present. Any holes large enough for a rodent to fit through should be blocked using either wire mesh or black foam.
- Check all entry points, the next item on your list is examining all doors and windows to be sure they close properly with no small gaps that could act as an entry point for rodents. If you notice any problems install a metal kick plate to bar entry.
- Examine your roof. A home’s roof can be another way for rodents to gain entry into the home so don’t overlook it. Check the ventilators, shingles and chimney for any breakage, gaps or leaks. Fill in any gaps you find and the chimney may even need to be kept closed to be sure it’s not an entry point.
- Pay close attention to your garden which should be part of your inspection list. Avoid piles of rubbish or lots of overgrowth that can be a perfect living conditions for rodents. Overhanging tree branches close to your home are another avenue rodents can gain entry to your home. So maintaining your garden and shrubbery is a good tip.
- Any pipes or wire lines that provide a number of services to your home can be possible passage for rodents as well. Metal rodent guards are available and should be installed to prevent access in this manner.
If you Vancouver and needing rodent removal, contact Local Pest Control.