Invisalign, once only recommended for adults for straightening their teeth is now suitable for teens as well. Metal braces are still the traditional form of orthodontic treatment while invisalign is an alternative you may want to consider. Here are 7 reasons teens like Invisalign in Coquitlam.
- It provides discreet treatment. The fact that they are practically invisible is the a big reason a teen’s choice would be Invisalign. At a time of life when they tend to feel self conscious having Invisalign to straighten their smile removes some concerns they have about their appearance.
- There’s no need for food restrictions. Traditional metal braces meant eating certain foods could potentially cause a wire to break or loosen a bracket. Any hard, sticky foods were out of the question and with Invisalign there’s no need to restrict what teens consume, and we know what picky eaters the can sometimes be.
- It’s more comfortable. As you can imagine a mouthful of metal wires and brackets can rub against gums, lips and cheeks and cause irritation. Made of smooth polyurethane plastic, Invisalign mean a much more comfortable orthodontic experience.
- Invisalign teen only needs to be worn 20 to 22 hours a day and are changed out every 2 weeks. One clinical study revealed teens wear their aligners just under 21 hours a day and the built in blue indicator that fades over time when used as directed let’s the orthodontist track compliance.
- It’s suitable for sports. Teens active in sports can find wearing traditional metal braces to be a problem. Any contact sport even with a mouthguard and the chance of getting hit in the face can result in more damage if fitted with traditional metal braces. There is also the potential for them to break which is unlikely with Invisalign Teen.
- Fewer Orthodontist visits. Invisalign Teen requires less time in the orthodontist chair than traditional metal braces. With no adjustments to be made and no broken wires to fix after the initial appointment follow up is usually every 4 to 6 weeks.
- Dental hygiene. Traditional braces make removing trapped food particles in the braces and wires a challenge and could result in plaque build up and even tooth decay. Invisalign is easily removable making it easier to continue flossing and brushing as usual.
If it’s time to have your teen fitted with braces contact our reception desk at Viva Orthodontics in Coquitlam now and schedule an appointment.