Magentо was developed in the late 2006 and the first public beta version was released in 2007. This content management system has been noticed by such giants as Amazon and eBay. In July 2011, eBay has become the owner of 100% Magento shares.
Nowadays Magento holds a leading position among open source CMS. It has many fans and official partners around the world. Magento has a comfortable and intuitive user interface, module independent database architecture.
Magento is a system for managing multiple online shops. Moreover, according to statistics, is the most popular control system in February 2011.
You are likely to choose this CMS if you want:
- a wide range of functionality
- a flexible system for developing modules
- a scalable and configurable system
- want to create multiple stores
If you expect a low visitor traffic volume and have a small Magento store you can use a shared hosting, but if your website traffic volume is high the hosting provider may cease to serve your webshop. Therefore we recommend using at least VPS.
Global Statistic Data on Magento
- over 240 000 e-commerce shop
- over 800 000 community users
- over 6400 magento extentions
- 292,378 websites that have used Magento
Main Magento Competitors:
- OpenCart – 221,381 websites
- PrestaShop – 172,084 websites
- osCommerce – 116,257 websites
Top industries using Magento:
Over E-commerce CMS:
- VirtueMart – open source CMS module integrated into Joomla
- AbleCommerce – paid system based on Asp.net
- Ubercart – open source CMS module integrated into Drupal
- Zen Cart – open source CMS. Target customers are E-commerce shops .
- Volusion – paid hosting solution for online stores
- CS Cart – paid hosting solution for online stores
- 3D Cart – paid hosting solution for online stores
- Shopify- paid hosting solution for online stores
- OpenCart – open source content management system
- E-junkie – paid hosting solution for online stores
- PrestaShop – a free open source CMS
- FoxyCart – paid system with the ability to develop a custom functional for a monthly fee
- Shopp – paid e-commerce module for WordPress
- Magento Community – free open source software, no license or fees required.
- Magento Enterprise – has additional advanced features comparing to Community Edition, suites for lager websites.
- Magento Go – magento hosting solution for small businesses.
Advatages of Magento:
- multiple stores (CMS Magento allows you to create multiple online stores, while you can manage them from the same account)
- user-friendly product catalogue
- convenient price management
- customer oriented system
- suitable for any business scale
- SEO and marketing friendly CMS
- the variety of design themes
- advanced shopping cart
- there are thousands of extensions for Magento
- products import and export
- advanced reporting
- mobile friendly etc.
The advantages of Magento definitely explaines popularity of this CMS.
Some more fascinating facts:
- Believe it or not Google has revealed that the term “Magento” was searched more than the word “ecommerce”.
- Based on Alexa ranking, it is found that Magento is used by 26% of the top 1 million websites.
This article is written with help of magento web development Magecom.net, professional developers and Magento geeks.
Marta Gromadzka is a writer and editor with a wide variety of experience, including writing for websites internationally and editing books on many different subjects and in a variety of formats.