The six facts that one should know about e-cigarettes are as follows:
- The actual nature of an e-cigarette: E-cigarettes are those that simulate the effect of natural cigarettes and release vapor. Although they do comprise of nicotine, they are devoid of tobacco. They basically employ the use of sleek electronic devices to initiate real smoking by converting liquid nicotine to vaporized form and releasing it to the surrounding environment. E-cigarettes possess the similar buzz as that of conventional cigars, but in this case, he buzz is due to vapor in contrast to toxic smoke of real cigarettes.
- How does e-cigarette vapor differ from tobacco smoke: E-cigarettes are quite friendly on the environment as they simply release the vapor in a liquidized nicotine form, which is free of toxic chemicals such as tobacco and arsenic. A little bit of added flavors are mixed with the vaporized form of nicotine too, to lend an aroma. Another point of difference is that in case of real cigarettes, powdered tobacco is burnt in order to produce the pungent smoke which is inhaled and also some part of it is released into the environment, while the electronic counterpart simply burns up the liquid nicotine into odorless vapor.
- How harmful are e-cigarettes: In the haze of insufficient information, scientists are still pondering over the probable effects and benefits of e-cigarettes. As with every research innovation, criticism is a common phenomena, so is the case with e-cigarettes too. One school of thought believes that these electronic counterparts are good for getting rid of nicotine addiction as they give the impression of smoking even without the release of actual nicotine. Yet, the health effects have been addressed stating that they are not entirely free of nicotine and may emit many harmful toxins that are equally damaging. The bottom line is that the effects are not as outstandingly bad as conventional cigarettes, but long-term exposure to these may lead to damaging consequences. Health experts believe that further experimental research is required before reaching to a final conclusion.
- Government Regulatory framework on e-cigarettes: There is absolutely no regulation on electronic cigarette by the federal state government, and all kinds of transactions are legally carried out. Even while selling this stuff to minors, there is no regulation. In fact almost two-thirds of the e-cigarette companies which boast of being nicotine free, actually have appreciable quantities of the latter. The Food and Drug Act regulates market authorization in terms of importing, selling and advertising e-cigarettes. Even if the product itself is announced as a health concern and its release is not legally approved, it still can reach the public through internet sources. Several gas stations, department stores and tobacconists sell them openly.
- Can e-cigarettes really help public to quit smoking: After a battery of surveys done by the American Heart Association, it is evident that e-cigarettes have little or no effect on reducing nicotine addiction? In fact, youngsters may even try them for fun and adventure and late on get addicted to convention cigarette smoking.
- Are e-cigarettes inflammable: Like every electronic device, these too have a probability of explosion. Although these incidents are rare, the possibility can never be ruled out completely.