If you want to save money on a new computer, you may want to think about purchasing a used PC. The truth of the matter is that used PCs work great, because they have been repaired by professionals and they often come with solid warranties. This means that you will get a lightly used computer that you can have repaired if there are any issues after your purchase. All in all, you will be able to own a great computer, but also keep the impact on your wallet light. Before you go used PC shopping, you want to be sure that you keep a number of things in mind. Here is some helpful advice when you are buying a used PC.
- Make sure that you turn the computer on and inspect all the functions – you want to tap on every key and you want to make sure the computer doesn’t make any strange noises. You will never know if a computer truly works or not unless you turn it on and test all the functions.
- Make sure that you purchase your computer from a reputable dealer – this is the best way to get the highest quality used PC. The last thing you want is to purchase a used PC from an individual who is selling it on the street. It may be stolen, it may be broken or it may so old that it’s virtually obsolete. Ideally, you want to find a retailer like Used-PCs.com, because that way you will know that the computer is a safe buy.
- Make sure that you look at the warranty – if the computer has been refurbished, you will want to have a warranty to back up your purchase. A warranty is important, because it will basically be like a signed document that backs up your purchase. If there is no warranty and the computer simply stops working, you may have to pay out of pocket to have the issue fixed or the computer replaced.
- Make sure that you know whether the computer has been refurbished or repaired. When it comes down to it, some PCs have been refurbished, which means that they have been gently used and a few parts have been replaced. Other computers, however, have to be completely repaired. Before you purchase your new computer, you want to be sure that you know, because they are two different things. If you purchase a repaired computer when you thought it was simply refurbished, you may be surprised and frustrated when the computer breaks down.
- Make sure that you know what you are spending – you can usually find the listed price and the depreciated price online. On top of everything, you want to be sure to do your research when it comes to the cost of the computer. The last thing you want is to purchase a computer for more money than the retail price. A used computer should typically be less than the market price. In the end, you can usually go online and browse around to do this research.