According to Forbes 2010, Ahmedabad was ranked Third in the list of the Fastest Growing Cities of the decade. No doubt, Ahmedabad has emerged as one of the most industrially and environmentally sound cities in India. The very famous Sabarmati River flows through this city and Mahatma Gandhi’s Sabarmati Ashram rests on its banks. Now for those who are on a business trip, or visiting Ahmedabad for a single day, here’s what all needs to be done and seen.
Being one of the fastest growing metropolitans in India, there is a sea of hotels in Ahmedabad that one can look for to have a pleasant stay in the city. It is recommended to choose one of the hotels in Ahmedabad that are closest to the popular sights of the city.
In a single day, though it can be a bit hectic to explore this second largest city of Gujarat. But, everything around is worth the effort. Take a look.
- Sabarmati Ashram: Gilded in golden words in historic books, this place was the house of the beloved Mahatma Gandhi. There is souvenir shop, a museum, and the well preserved cottage of baapu (father) with the urn of his ashes. A serene place. No need for words to describe it though.
- Kankaria Lake: The epic point for a family outing or for spending some quality time alone. The place is in the heart of Ahmedabad and has fun activities to do there like boating, visiting a zoo, and even has an array of options for foodies. Try and visit at night for a spectacular view of the city from the lake, illuminated with lights.
- Auto World Vintage Car Museum: For the car enthusiasts, this place is heaven. This car museum has huge collection of the vintage cars that were used by the British. One can even go for a ride, by paying a nominal fee, along with a driver of course. Since this place is located on the outskirts of Ahmedabad, it is difficult to cover within a short span of one day. But the lovers of car might go an extra mile, won’t they?
- Calico Museum of Textiles: This is a storehouse of the finest, old, modern, antique and all sorts of textiles from all around India. Shopaholics can get their dope of grabbing exotic mirror work fabrics, or Gujarat’s very own khaadi. Not just textiles, the museum has a wondrous variety of furniture curated from all around India.
- Temples/Mosques: There are some breathtaking structures of the divine in this city. The Akshardham Temple, Jama Masjid, Ahmed Shah’s Mosque, Sidi Sayyid’s Mosque, etc. are some of the most popular ones. Some quiet time with the divinity here!
Shopping and Entertainment
There are huge shopping malls in Ahmedabad that shopaholics swear by, but it is recommended to take home a signature Gujarati handmade art or clothing. Spots like Ratios, Law Garden Night Market, Alpha One Mall, Asal, Gamthiwala, Crossword, and Ravivari are the top picks which one can visit for a cherishable memorabilia to take back home.
It is recommended to look for cheap hotels in Ahmedabad for a short stay since the city has so much to explore that it is of no use to spend on the luxuries. Rest, go there, and experience!
Dimpy Roy is a travel writer working with an Online Travel Guide. She guides travelers to various resources where they can find best hotels in Ahmedabad and choose the best one.