Some people feel wary about online courses, thinking that they’re limited to vocational deals or minor degrees. However, that couldn’t be further from the truth, especially in today’s interconnected reality. Because the Internet consists of the majority of peoples’ lives, it makes sense that an education should also be handled through an online format, the way books helped spread ideas when the printing press was invented.
When searching for an undergraduate degree, why not try a sport management degree? This is especially appealing if you’ve had a vested interest in sports since day one. Indeed, eLearning through sports study might sound a bit backwards, especially when it involves more practical application and physical activity than the average classroom, but there’s more to sport management than that.
Why Get a Sport Management Degree?
- First off, Go to an Actual University: Universities like the University of Florida offers the online Bachelor of Science in Sport Management program because it can fulfill both the theory and execution parts of learning the degree. Unlike uncertified online programs that are all theory and paperwork, but barely any action, the university has the funds and the facilities to implement sport management eLearning with actual the sports part of your education involved. This is like how medical and health degrees also require lab work to be certified; it simply makes sense to have a university-backed online program included since they have the sports facilities and gymnasiums to support it all.
- Fundamental Concepts of Learning: Sports management isn’t only about athletics, it’s also about learning sports organization law and finance, marketing, and management. As the name suggests, you’ll be taught the essentials of managing sports, specifically the business side of it all, with prerequisite physical activities and player interactions included as your hands-on experience in dealing with the athletics field so that you aren’t buried in books, PDFs, links, websites, and theories. Students undergoing this course can pursue careers in intercollegiate athletic departments to professional sports franchise managers as well as becoming part of sport organizing committees and sport media companies.
- Leaders Are Made Through These Degrees: It’s these degrees that allow leaders to be made. Athletes require their managers to get them paid and deal with the business side of a sports spectacle. Every sponsorship and endorsement should be handled by someone who graduated from this particular degree, even if it is an online type of degree as long as it’s backed by a university with the right amount of facilities and whatnot. You will be taught about player representation, fundraising, sponsorship sales, ticket operations, compliance, administration, marketing, even management, and facility management as well as proper interaction with the athletes, players, and coaches you’re supposed to take care of.
- Sport Management Requirements and Miscellaneous Notes on Internship: Before graduating, all majors are required to complete a full-time internship and a 15-credit hour experience. This prerequisite is met during the semester before graduation. There are hundreds of potential and approved internship sites to choose from made available by the Internship Office of your locality. They’re a good starting point for students who want to complete all their coursework and requirements; internship included. If you have further questions, concerns, comments, and suggestions about internship site, submission items, semester, and whatnot, your online course provider should have an email of a represented ready to field your inquiries.
- Competitive Transfer Applicant Criteria: If you’re a transfer student who has enrolled in an online course in the middle of the semester, you should be able to at least have completed the following tracking courses in flying colors (with no grade below C and at least a 2.2 GPA) in order to be considered an admission. You should specifically do well in SPC 2608 (Introduction to Public Speaking), MAC 1114 (Trigonometry) or STA 2023 (Introduction to Statistics 1), and PSY 2012 (General Psychology). You should also have good grades (as explained earlier) in MAC 1105 (Basic College Algebra) or higher, ECO 2013 (Principles of Macroeconomics) or ECO 2023 (Principles of Microeconomics), and ACG 2021 (Introduction to Financial Accounting).
- When Everything Is Said and Done: After you’ve completed all general, college, and university degree requirements, the enrolled students in this program will be given the opportunity to pursue core courses for the degree, which includes sport management internship, business finance, sport marketing, sport facility management and design, and sport and society classes. This also includes several elective courses such as entrepreneurship and the legal environment of business. In short, it’s the course to have when it comes to teaching people how to engage in the business side of sports and sports organization. Those stadiums, tickets, season passes, and commissions don’t run themselves, after all.
Leave a Reply