The beauty industry in Australia continues to thrive and develop, and this is apparent with the growing number of salons, spas, and wellness centres. This ongoing trend does not only benefit beauty therapy consumers but businesses as well. Because of this, career opportunities open up to aspiring beauty therapists, hairstylists, hairdressers, massage therapists, nail technicians, and of course, make-up artists.
If you’re planning pursue a career in the beauty industry and interested in becoming a professional makeup artist, now is the perfect time to follow your dreams. There are many job opportunities in different parts of the country, especially in major cities, so eyeing a career as a makeup artist can be quite practical and ideal.
The first step into becoming a respected professional makeup artist involves education and training. Since the industry has developed through the years, the competition in the job market is naturally cutthroat – only the most talented and dedicated individuals become successful. In order to be ready for the competitive job market, you need to be equipped with required knowledge, skills, and experience. Companies will favor you less if you don’t have a certificate in make up courses. Hence, if you want to have an easier time establishing your career and reputation, you have to invest on quality education and training. You would want to enroll yourself at a good beauty school, attend various workshops, undergo training as an apprentice to more experienced professional makeup artists.
You may think that the job a makeup artist can only land on involves working at a beauty salon or wellness centre, but the truth is, there are many types of opportunities await good makeup artists. Below are some of the businesses that require the services of makeup artists.
- Beauty salon – There are beauty salons in almost every corner of major cities in Australia, and most of these salons offer makeup services. These salons offer variety of makeup services to clients, thus they require the expertise of good makeup artists.
- Retail – Cosmetic brands are always in need of sales agents, representatives, and associates who have good knowledge and understanding of how the products work. If you are a trained makeup artist, you can certainly work for these brands. You may work as a sales representative, project manager, or technician for such businesses.
- Entertainment – Film companies, television networks, theater companies, and events companies cannot successfully do their business if without the services of makeup artists. You get to work with celebrities, known personalities, and entertainment people on daily basis.
- Fashion – The fashion industry hires the best makeup artists in the industry in order to get their campaigns, events, and shows going. Without makeup artists, fashion models will never look the same. Working with models requires above-average skills and extensive experience as you have to ensure that they look like what the fashion director wants.
- Commercial – Companies that produce print, television, and online advertisements need the services of makeup artists. The roles of makeup artists in this industry include ensuring the beauty of the models and translating the concept of the campaign through their works.
Certainly, there is a variety of job opportunities waiting for you once you’ve done your training as a makeup artist. However, you should know that you have to build your credentials first before you can actually work for larger companies. Keep in mind that established companies only hire experienced and talented individuals, which is why you have to prove yourself first before you can get their attention. Hence, you have to be work hard on your make up courses and once you graduate, and work harder in your first years in the industry.
Leave a Reply